Timothy A. Gessert, PhD
Gessert Consulting, LLC
B.A. 1982, Physics, Mathematics (Double Major), Univ. of WI River Falls, River Falls, WI, USA
M.S. 1984, Physics, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO., USA.
Ph.D. 1996, Physics, University of Wales College of Cardiff. Cardiff, Wales, UK.
2015-Present Principal, Gessert Consulting, LLC
2015-2016 Senior Scientist/Solar Photovoltaics, EPIR Inc.
2011-2015 Principal Scientist, Thin-Film Materials Group, NREL.
2010-2011 Principal Scientist, Manager, CdTe Devices Research Group, NREL.
2008-2010 Principal Scientist, Manager, Polycrystalline Thin-Film Devices Group, NREL.
2007-2008 Principal Scientist, Supervisor, Polycrystalline Thin-Film Devices Group, NREL.
2003-2007 Senior Scientist, Supervisor, Polycrystalline Thin Film Devices Group, NREL.
1998-2003 Senior Scientist and Team Leader, CdTe Research Team, NREL.
1993-1998 Senior Scientist and Team Leader, Device Fabrication and Processing Team, NREL.
1984-1993 Staff Scientist, Device Development Group, SERI/NREL.
1983-1984 Research Technician, High-Efficiency III-V Group, SERI.
Honors and Awards
2015 NREL Directors Award – Outstanding Efforts Related to FPace-1 Activities.
2015 NREL Special Recognition Award – Recipient of 10 Issued U.S. Patents while at NREL.
2011 Named Fellow of the American Vacuum Society.
2007 NREL Directors Award – Outstanding Efforts in Coordinating Plans for the S&TF Laboratories.
2006 NREL Directors Award – Outstanding Efforts in Developing Master Design for S&TF Laboratories.
2005 NREL Directors Award – Outstanding Leadership in Multiple Major Projects.
2002 NREL Directors Award – Outstanding Leadership of CdTe Team and Support to STF Users Input Report.
2000 NREL Directors Award –Team Success in Attaining World Record CdTe Cell Efficiency of 15.8%.
1988 SERI Staff Award for Outstanding Achievement – First SERI PV Solar Cell to Exceed 20% Efficiency.
• American Vacuum Society – Board of Directors, 2014-2016, Edu. Committee Chair – Present.
• Int. Workshop Physics and Chem. of II-VI Matr. – Conf. and Program Committees, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.
• Member IEEE. PV Spec. Conf. Prog. Com., Session Co-Organizer, 1995, 2006, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016.
• Society of Vacuum Coaters (SVC) Tech. Conf. Prog. Committee, 2011, 2012. Short Course Instructor 2015.
• EMRS Thin-Film CdTe PV – Workshop Co-Organizer, Spring 2006.
• MRS Symposium Co-organizer “Thin-Film Compound Semiconductor PV,” 2005, 2007 Meetings.
• Executive Committee, AVS Vacuum Science and Technology Division, 2004-2011, Chair-2009
• AVS Short-Course Instructor, Vacuum Tech., Contamination Control, Leak Detection, TCOs, 1998-Present
• Executive Board of Rocky Mountain Chapter of the AVS, 1998- Present
• Member of Local Arrangements Committee for AVS National Symposium, Denver, 1994, 2002.
• Fellow American Vacuum Society/AVS, Thin Films, Elect. Matr., and Vac. Tech. Divs, 1986-Present.